Grand Canyon Rangers Ops & Backcountry Renovation

Grand Canyon Rangers Ops & Backcountry Renovation
6 Images In Slideshow, Click to Launch







Contract Amount = $1.7M


The Ranger Ops Renovation was only one building of this project; the other was the Backcountry Information Office, originally built as the train depot but later retrofitted to serve another calling.  The work on this structure was no second in depth of scope and featured all new mechanical, electrical and security upgrades as well as a complete glycol fire suppression system, newly enclosed visitor lobby and bathrooms, as well as many other office additions and alterations.



"Grand Canyon’s Diamond in the Rough"


Restoration of the Ranger Operations Building within the Grand Canyon Village National Historical Landmark District.


The nomination labeling the Village as a Historical Landmark was made in 1997 and states “one of the most important buildings in the entire village… [Ranger Operations] projects a powerful image representing the civic administration of the park.”


          The total square footage of the two story building is 3,536’.  The original construction of the Ranger Ops Building (historically the Park Headquarters Building) was completed in 1929 and is an outstanding example of the rustic style architecture developed during the National Park’s expansion in the 1920’s.  There have been many renovations to this structure through the years; however, none of them was as comprehensive as this one.  Our scope of work on the exterior of the building included the selective removal and reinstallation of various architectural woodwork including the replacement of many of the log rafter tails along the roof line; the removal, complete restoration and reinstallation of the all the existing windows and doors, the pointing of existing stonework, and a new roof -- including, sheathing, ice shield, custom cut fire retardant shingles, etc.


          The interior of the building experienced a complete makeover with the intention of restoring the look and feel of the building to more closely represent the finished product in 1929.  This remodel included a few modernizations such as seismic upgrades, integral heating and air conditioning (as opposed to the old boiler operated, hot water, piped radiant heat they had before), ADA upgrades, all new data, communication and security systems, lightning protection and 5/8” gyp board throughout, just to name a few.  We completely gutted the buildings interior including OSHA mandated Asbestos abatement, removal of all lead based components and hazardous materials.  All existing mechanical, electrical and plumbing were replaced with new modern equipment and materials.  Not withstanding the fact that just about every board in or on the building has a certain amount of historical value attached to it, there are also areas of the building that are very sensitive and of great historical value to the park.  Two particular areas are the original concrete floor and the existing split log siding on the interior walls and ceiling of the visitor lobby.  The concrete floor was restored to its original finish, which resembles a flagstone type stamped concrete (you can imagine how they achieved that appearance in 1929) and the split log siding which was documented, categorized and removed for restoration and reinstalled in the same order in which they were taken down.


          We worked very hard to accommodate the NPS in preserving the historical value of this structure.  It was a pleasure working with those involved in the many decisions associated with renovation work of this nature and as a result of the diligence and efforts of every individual involved in this monumental work, it brought great satisfaction to bring about the successful completion of the Grand Canyon’s “Diamond in the Rough.”



6 Images In Slideshow, Click to Launch